Saturday, August 30, 2008

Live blogging from Remix My Lit at Federation Square

It's the Remix My Lit event at Federation Square, part of the Melbourne Writers Festival, and I've been remixing a story for the last half hour or so. It's a bit of a copy and paste job on chunks of a story that caught my eye, 'How to Domesticate a Pirate', by Danielle Wood.

There's free wifi at Federation Square, which has allowed me to log into the project's website: www.remixmylit.com to access the text of the story – saved me time of typing out the text from the sheets of paper they've handed out at the event.

Text is flashing on the big screen at Fed Square, over 'video art' and remixed audio, including readings of some of the stories. It is creating a great vibe, but I wish they'd turn down the volume - a bit hard to write...

Or it could be the icy wind pushing the people through the 'square'.

There doesn't seem to be very many people here for this event, thought there's the odd person who is clutching the sheets of paper - the printed stories by some really good Australian writers who've agreed to publish their new short stories on Creative Commons licenses.

I've emailed my remix story in, but I'm unsure if it will make it up on the big screen. Although this event finishes in a few minutes, the Remix My Lit initiative is going for a while longer, and all entries will be considered for their anthology.

I am going to post my remix next, but at the moment there is a journo from the ABC Radio National's Book show who wants to know how I found it and what I did for my remix. There appears to be more people here to cover the event (me included) than to participate.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 31, 2008 3:48 pm, Blogger genevieve said...

Oh fabulous! live blogger straight to the mainstream. Bravo Mark, thanks for the report, and I hope you get onto the screen quickly.

 
At September 01, 2008 10:06 am, Blogger Mark Lawrence said...

gen, I didn't actually see it (duh!) because I was busy live-blogging (duh!), but when I asked the event organisers whether they got my submission by email, and mentioned I hadn't seen it up on the screen, they said they'd posted short excerpts of it on the screen! Argh! To have missed seeing my work and name on the big screen!

Them's the breaks. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home