Monday, July 27, 2009

Another first

Following on from my first published piece of non-fiction is my first review! My remix story, published in the Remix My Lit project's anthology, Through the Clock's Workings, was mentioned in the review of the anthology in last Saturday's The Age A2 supplement (25 July 2009).

I was really surprised. I was reading the A2 in bed before going to sleep – trying to catch up on the paper I'd hardly had a chance to read all afternoon – when I came across the review of the anthology. I was pretty excited, I must admit. The review also examined the Remix My Lit initiative the anthology was published from, and remixing generally, so it wasn't much of a straight 'review', but I was amazed my story was actually mentioned.

I was hoping to just link to the review online and leave it at that, but of course A2 content is not online at all, is it? And while fearful that I'd appear frightfully boastful, I thought 'what the heck' and
decided to publish the excerpt that mentions my story. Although, for sake of correction or accuracy, I would not dream of describing myself as a poet. I have to say, when I first saw the opening lines of the paragraph my name is mentioned in, my heart sank, but then I read on!
"…Some Remix My Lit efforts read like tame first year creative writing exercises. The best ones either develop the original in an intriguing new direction (as Amra Pajalic does with Cate Kennedy's Renovator's Heaven) or somehow intensify its emotional effect. For instance, Danielle Wood's story How to Domesticate a Pirate lyrically explores big themes such as marriage, domesticity and consumption. But in the hands of poet Mark Lawrence, words are radically stripped back and rearranged, producing an emotional subtlety I found far more moving than the original work."
Wow.

I don't necessarily buy into the reviewer's comparison of my remixed story and the original it is based on, but I appreciate the sentiments greatly. After all, it was the powerful emotion in Danielle's story that drew me to read it and remix it and play with it like on a riff at that live remixing event at Fed Square last year.

Still. Wow.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At July 27, 2009 7:40 pm, Blogger Tim said...

Boast away! It's always nice to stand out - for the right reasons, of course. Well done, sir!

 
At July 27, 2009 8:31 pm, Blogger matt said...

Yep, I would be printing that one up in large letters and sticking it on the wall behind my desk. Very encouraging to get that kind of affirmation without soliciting it!

 
At July 30, 2009 9:47 pm, Anonymous parlance said...

Definitely a WOW! moment.

 
At July 31, 2009 9:31 am, Blogger Mark Lawrence said...

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it. I did enjoy that 'wow' moment.

 
At July 31, 2009 10:56 am, Blogger Kirsty said...

I agree, take the glory where you can get it! It's great that someone has not only taken the time to engage with your writing, but that they've responded so positively.

Also, you're tagged for the 3 Truths meme, since that's what it's turned out to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home