Monday, November 01, 2004

Out of the blue

This afternoon, while we had family over for lunch, an old friend called me out of the blue. We hadn't spoken in probably a year, if not more, so I was very surprised to hear from her. More surprised to hear she is now in Arnhem Land! We both apologised to each other, profusely, for not keeping in touch more and calling or emailing much sooner. But, cheekily, I said that ours was the type of friendship where we could drop out of touch for a while but pick up again where we'd left off and reconnect, once we'd made contact with eath other again. While I don't want to belittle our friendship, or seem blazé or make excuses for not keeping in touch, I think that some friendships are like that. What's strange is that I came across her email address while going through my addess book earlier this week, and thought to email her soon. Then today's phone call! Weird. I'm glad we're in touch again, as she is one of the first friends I made when I came to Melbourne, and someone I've wanted to keep up my friendship with. So, here's to old friends.

Oh yeah, Happy Day of the Dead, Em. (If I remember your stories about that festival in Mexico, you'll be thinking about it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home