Monday, December 05, 2005

Walking with purpose

Yesterday, my family and I went along to participate in the Long Walk 2005. We wanted to show that we too cared about the many issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Australia.

It was also a chance to make a statement in protest against the Howard Government's dismantling of the potential for Indigenous engagement and participation in the political, social and economic processes and decision making in Australia. And to condemn their derailing of Reconciliation in our country.

It was so good to see that we weren't the only ones.

Although it was such a short walk, it took us a long time – walking 3 km is eventful with a five-year-old. And, although I had many misgivings over the overpriced and overpackaged food sold by the vendors after the event, and felt it difficult to feel part of something once the walking was done, I'm glad I did it! I'm glad I played my part in something so historic.

Only time will tell if it is as significant as the speakers at the start insisted it was.

Michael Long and Cathy Freeman, seen here coming down to the pitch at the football stadium, led the way that day.

As you can see in the photo at the top, the walk was long - it snaked far ahead of us and almost extended right around the park!

Here, here and here are some media about it.


Oh, and these are my 'Photo(s) of the Day' for yesterday and Saturday (Days 3 and 4), 'cos I was so tired when I got back, I didn't get round to blogging them! And, Saturday was a wash out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home