Thursday, June 12, 2008

On a winter's night…

Winter is doing strange things in Melbourne currently. One day, it is all foggy mornings and grounded or detoured aeroplanes, the next it's sunny afternoons followed by rain clouds chased over the ranges. All the same, there is something quite lovely about they way this city faces winter. Lots of people get into the winter mood around here, and incorporate its features into not just their dress and cooking, but into art, writing, and more.

leaf
I took this photo of a hand-drawn leaf a couple of weeks ago. It is part of an extended artwork on the glass wall of the local municipal library near my work. It is a lovely meditation on plane trees and the way they lose their leaves for the cold weather, if a bit melancholic.

Winter's melancholy can play havoc with many of us, but then there is always something to cheer us up. Like the sun breaking through the clouds, or burrowing into bed with something lovely to read, such as the latest issue of Meanjin – the first under the stewardship of their new editor Sophie Cunningham. It's worth reading, from all reports, and not just because it features work by the wonderful bloggers Ampersand Duck, and Laura Caroll, who are also behind Sarsaparilla.

Winter is also a great time for a big hearty stew or soup, or maybe a curry, and a nice glass of red. I know what I'm picking up from the shop on the way home.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 13, 2008 2:34 pm, Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

Thanks so much for the blush-makingly nice comment on my blog, Mark!

I'm enjoying winter in Canberra... it doesn't seem as crisp as it usually is, but it's cold enough to wear layers that need to be put on and taken off as you move around the day, something that always makes me mindful of the way my day is progressing. I don't think that way in summer!

 
At June 13, 2008 4:27 pm, Blogger Mark Lawrence said...

Thanks for your comment, &D, and you are very welcome.

It's a funny thing about winter and layers (I like how you describe it as marking the passing of time) – I wish I did have some more layers to put on or peel off this afternoon, as I rushed out of the house without my gloves, beanie, and a warmer jumper, totally misreading how cold it would get this afternoon (despite what I wrote yesterday)!

At least I have a compact brolly in my bag. And a good jacket.

Keep warm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home