Monday, November 01, 2004

Happy Day of the Dead

I grew up knowing this day as 'All Saints' Day', but I'm not that way inclined anymore. I'm more likely to appreciate the Mexican's more festive Day of the Dead. Check out Ricardo Salvador's article on this tradition. I can do without the cloying incense, droning rituals, singeing my fingers on candles or trying to keep scalding wax off my skin (strange how the hippies and New Agers have embraced what many are critical of the Catholics for...) - what accompanies the Days of Saints and Souls.

The Mexicans have a great way with melding Catholic and pre-Columbian cellebrations and embracing festivity. And what seems like a healthy appreciation for death. One more thing to thank the Aztecs for - that and chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home